Thursday, January 14, 2010

Peter Lik


"His deep connection with the heart and soul of the landscape is what drives Peter and keeps him searching for that indefinable "perfect" image. His photography is about the challenge of translating the awesome power and beauty of the earth in a tangible record of a moment in time. From the soulful portraits of the vast heartland deserts, to the pristine beauty of the reefs and rainforests, Peter Lik captures the true feeling of the land like no other."

I first saw Peter Lik's work when I was on a family vacation in Australia in 2006. He had postcards and posters for sale in a lot of the shops we went in. I was captivated by all the colors. He manages to find gorgeous landscapes and elevates them even more through his photography. He highlights the forms and colors of his subjects. The two images I included above I find interesting because of their abstract quality. The colors are striking, but underneath that they have a feeling of movement and rhythm. The pink canyon walls become ribbon-like as they flow into the background. I find that I can stare at Lik's images and get lost in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment