Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alec Soth, Craft blog

I was looking on wikipedia for photographers who use large format cameras, and Alec Soth is one of them. I've heard his name before, and seen a little of his work, but I never really looked at his images. I picked a few that I really liked from his series, "Last Days of W". The imagery is pretty simplistic but still enjoyable to look at. I also found some of his portraits interesting because they are more of the unconventional portraits rather than a head-shot style. Here's a link to his blog where he talks about all kinds of things.

The diagonals formed by the staircase really make this image work. I also really like the pattern and repetion of the steps themselves. Another element is added by the broken glass, it makes you question why the window is broken.

This is beautiful to me. It appears to go on forever and the muted colors make the image calming. I also wonder what that building is way off in the distance.


This one is just funny to me. I love the juxtoposition of the ice-cream cone and the cigar; it's like the man is still a child at heart. I also see this as a sort of portrait of this person, just a glimpse of who they are because I'm not sure one photograph can capture who a person really is.


Lastly, I like the division of space in this one. Dark on the bottom, light up top, but also by the curtains and window panes. It's a simple subject, just a window with some sort of star flag or something in the middle, but the light in this image makes it something else. It comes through the curtains beautifully and really highlights the shapes of the curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment